Guess what happened when I stopped writing on my blog for over 2 months because I was too lazy/depressed/busy/distracted to pay any attention to it? Anyone care to guess?
No one? Alright, fine. I’ll tell you. I was given some blogging awards by two fantastic bloggers! TWO! Pretty great for an underachiever, eh? To be fair, I was given the same award by both of them, but it’s still awesome to know that people actually pay attention to my blog even when I’m not here.
I started this blog in May of 2011 because I was always convinced that I could write. I have kept journals as far back as I can remember, and would write everything down in them. I’d even carry them with me wherever I went, so as not to miss the chance to write down some amazing random idea (which never really happened, btw). I’ve been an infrequent poster since the beginning of this blog, and I’ve discovered over the last year and a half, that writing doesn’t come as naturally to me as I once thought. I feel like I should have this grand idea before writing anything. Everyone tells me to just write. Sit down and write and the words will come. Baloney.
I mean, in some ways it is true, but only if I have an idea in mind first; and even then it’s difficult. I have so many unfinished and unpublished posts, that they probably outnumber the published ones. But whatever. My biggest problem is that I compare myself to other bloggers; even when I know that it’s counterproductive. I need to accept that I’m no Mary Tyler Mom or Hands Free Mama. I’m just me; and apparently some people like me just the way I am. Heck, some of them even like me enough to read this here blog and give me fancy awards!
So, without any further ado, on with the award business!
First, the lovely Diary of an Unbreakable Mom gave me the award and I had to admit that I didn’t even know who she was. (Shame on me!) So I checked her out and found out who she is, and I discovered we have a lot in common!
Then, the ever funny and sweet Daddy Knows Less bestowed it upon me as well. I knew I needed to make my return to this here blog to thank them for their kindness and for reading my
lame excuse for a fledgling blog.
Now, when Unbreakable Mom gave it to me, this is what she said the rules were:
How the Liebster Blog Award Works:
1. Thank the Liebster Award presenter in your blog.
2. Link back to the blogger who presented it to you.
3. Copy and paste the award on your blog.
4. Present the award to 5 blogs that deserve to be noticed.
5. Let them know they have been presented with the Liebster Award by commenting on their blog/FB page.
6. Grab a rain stick and do a rain dance.
7. Buy a birthday cake, sing the “happy birthday” song backwards, and make a wish.
8. High five yourself, because you are awesome.
I’m pretty sure she made up those last 3, but I did them anyway for good measure. Mmm…cake.
When Daddy Knows Less gave me the award, this was his version of the rules:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
4. Choose 11 people to award, and send them a link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs.
I couldn’t help but wonder what the original rules were for the Liebster Award, so I Googled it, of course. This is what I found, along with other buttons for it and varied rules, so who knows? Either way, I’m honored to receive it!
11 Things About Me:
1. I am a textbook Pisces. Born on 3/3, I am sensitive, creative, emotional, and an idealistic dreamer, which has gotten me nowhere. I’ve got a lot of good ideas, but they never pan out. I’m also a procrastinator of EPIC proportions.
2. I LOVE potatoes. If you can imagine a way they can be cooked and eaten, I am so there.
3. I identify myself as a bisexual woman, but really might be considered more pansexual. I am attracted to men, women, some transgendered folks, and just about anyone else in-between. It took me most of my life to fully understand this and accept myself for who I am, instead of trying to fit into just one category.
4. My son has 2 middle names, because the name I picked out for him just didn’t suit him when he was born. He was to be Maxwell Lennon LastName, but he was too sweet and soft to be a Maxwell, so the bio-father and I had to come up with another name before leaving the hospital. We were flipping through the baby name book and stumbled on the name Lucas that I had highlighted at some point, and it just fit. So his name is Lucas Maxwell Lennon LastName. I couldn’t drop the original name, no matter how hard I tried. He also has the bio-father’s last name- a decision I regret to this day.
5. I got married last year to a band geek that I met originally in junior high (middle school). We went to the homecoming dance together as “just friends” our senior year of high school, and after graduation, didn’t see or speak to each other again until 13 years later on MySpace. Then 2 years went by and we reconnected on facebook, and the rest is history.
6. I like rodents. I think they’re adorable. All of them. We currently have a guinea pig named Sir Henry Reginald Piggerton IV. We call him Henry so he doesn’t get a swelled head over the whole being knighted thing.
7. My favorite colors are green and orange.
8. I LOVE books. I don’t read them as often as I’d like these days, but I used to read at least one book a week. My favorite genres are fantasy, erotica, and memoirs; but I’ll read almost anything, except mysteries and romance crap
9. I’m a nerd. I’ve been nerdy since I was a kid and other kids would make fun of my ears, clothes, and last name; amongst other things. They even put spitballs in my hair on the bus, just because they could. I was bullied, picked on, and cast out from a very early age, and while I’d like to say it helped me grow as a person, it really didn’t. All it did was crush my self-esteem; and it’s still a tiny, mangled mess to this day.
10. I used to LOVE cats and other pets until I had them myself, then I decided they’re more trouble than they’re worth. I know that sounds mean, but it is what it is. I have 3 kids to clean up after and feed, I do not need pets, too. (of course, we have pets and guess who takes care of them mostly?)
11. I’m not a very girly girl. I hate pink and flowery shit and glitter and sequins. I don’t wear much jewelry or makeup, and I’m fine with that. I do, however, consider myself feminine. Do you know the difference between girly and feminine? I do.
11 Questions for me to answer:
1. The best gift you ever received?
Would it be cliche’d to say my son? He is the most amazing thing in the world to me. Also, he’s the gift that keeps on giving!
2. The best gift you ever gave?
Umm….again with my son? I gave him life, yo. It doesn’t get much better than that. Oh, and I gave myself to my hubby when we got married. I’m a pretty awesome present, if you ask me.
3. What do you think are your chances of surviving the zombie apocalypse?
Well, I watch a LOT of zombie movies and TV shows, and consider myself pretty educated about zombie awareness and survival skills. I mean, I know that you have to aim for their heads. I know not to hang around once they’re down, and I’d totally be willing to sacrifice people to save myself and my loved ones. The only problem I might run into is the fact that I’m fat and I do not run. I suppose if I had a brain-eating zombie chasing me, I’d be able to move pretty quickly, but I don’t have faith in my running ability. Maybe I could wear rollerskates?
4. What’s on your DVR right now?
Umm…I don’t have a DVR. I don’t even have cable. BUT if I did have a DVR, then you’d find Grey’s Anatomy, The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Modern Family, and anything about sex, zombies, or outer space.
5. The 5 most played songs on your i-pod are?
I don’t own an i-pod. I do own a cheap Mp3 player, but I never use it. I’m not a huge fan of technology, and I don’t feel the need to own every new-fangled gadget. That being said, we could look at my Spotify and see what I listen to most often. Narrowing it down to songs would be tricky, so I’ll just say artists. Steam Powered Giraffe, Amanda Palmer, The Avett Brothers, Tori Amos, and Ben Folds.
6. One movie that you absolutely HAVE to watch when it’s on? Just one.
Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.
7. In 10 words or less, why do you write/blog?
I have to get the thoughts out of my head.
8. What’s your catchphrase?
I’m pretty sure I don’t have one.
9. The most clever Halloween costume you’ve ever had?
I’m not very clever. My costumes have always been lame. *shrug*
10. One thing you’re really bad at?
11. Your favorite board game?
I love backgammon, but I never get to play because it seems like no one knows how to. I also love Trivial Pursuit. I know a LOT of useless information.
11 Questions for Those Being Awarded:
1. What is your earliest memory?
2. What are your personal religious/spiritual beliefs?
3. Favorite comfort food?
4. Are you crafty? If so, what’s your crafting niche?
5. Who do you think is hotter- Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr?
6. What’s your astrological sign? Do you believe in astrology?
7. How many countries have you been to? Which ones?
8. Have you read 50 Shades of Grey? Opinion?
9. Which decade do you feel like you belong in? Why?
10. Do you garden? If yes, what kind of gardening do you do?
11. What blows your mind more- outer space or life as we know it?
11 Bloggers I am Giving the Award to:
1. Crazy Dumbsaint of the Mind
2. The Single Crunch
3. Pile of Babies
4. Corbyn Hanson Hightower
6. A Morning Grouch
8. A Wordsmith’s Brainworks
9. Looking for My Escape
10. The Crumb Diaries
11. Edward Hotspur
Thank you again, to Daddy Knows Less and Diary of an Unbreakable Mom for the award. You guys rock.
I hope you all had as much fun reading this post as I did writing it.
Until next time-